Last month for my birthday, my friends and I went to the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit at San Jose’s Tech Museum! It was so fun seeing some of the props and costumes from the Star Wars saga. I feel like there could’ve been more things on display (no ewoks, tauntauns, Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett (he made an appearance there only recently), or Queen Amidala’s ornate ensemble from The Phantom Menace), but I still really loved seeing what was there, like Chewbacca! There was a sign that said he’d be leaving for the Smithsonian on January 16, so I’m really glad that I was able to see Chewy before he left. 🙂 And there was also a wampa, and jawas, a model of the Millenium Falcon, and Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper AND OTHER REALLY AMAZING AWESOME THINGS!
Here are some of the pictures I took while I was there:
This is the only Northern California stop for the Star Wars exhibit and its stay has been extended until the 23rd of March, so if you’re a huge Star Wars fan, you should definitely stop by! Who knows what else they might add to it!
Geeky pet owners rejoice! Petco debuted their special line of Star Wars threads and toys for pooches and kittens at Comic-Con a few weeks ago!
When I first got Rory a couple years ago I was really bummed by the lack of geeky dog apparel out there, so there are really no words for me to express how ecstatic I am over this crazy awesome line! And the Petco booth also gave out Yoda ears for pets as con exclusive freebies!!! They ran out when I went on Sunday, but my sister was able to grab a pair for Rory when she went on Thursday 😀
The collection hits stores on September 1 and will include an array of hoodies inspired by your favorite Star Wars characters (the Chewbacca and Boba Fett ones… shut up. Just. Shut. Up.), leashes and collars, fluffy dog beds shaped like Yoda and Darth Vader, chewy squeaky toys, and there’s also little mice dressed like characters for your kitty to play with!
One piece I can’t wait to get my hands on is the Darth Vader knitted nordic sweater. Rory is going to be the baddest ball of fluff on the block. Is it weird that I’m extremely happy that my dog and I will have matching knitted Vader sweaters and that I can’t wait to take pictures of the two of us so I can turn them into holiday greeting cards? Actually, I don’t care if it’s weird. I’M TOO EXCITED TO CARE.
While I was perusing the booth, another con goer looked at me and said, “Oh man. I’m going to have to buy all this stuff for my dog.” Me too, dude. Me. Too.
Do you plan on getting your pooch or kitten a little Star Wars trinket (or maybe one or two, or ALL OF IT)?
Happy Valentine’s Day/Single’s Awareness Day/Thursday, everyone!
I don’t have any huge plans like I did last year, but Tim and I are going to stay in and eat pizza (I think…?) and watch movies this evening — we’re basically just doing what we usually do whenever we get to hangout over the weekend. Good times!
I just wanted to share some geeky and not so geeky Valentine greetings, including some I remember giving/receiving from the 90s, that I found on the interwebs!
Hope you all enjoy your day whether you happen to celebrate this Hallmark holiday or not 😀
Harry Potter valentines by Kjersti Faret. Click here to see more!
Doctor Who Valentines by Tom Kurzanski
Dalek valentine by Amy Liu
I actually got that Abu card from a boy I couldn’t stand in first grade!
Star Wars valentines by Katie Cook
I’m pretty sure I handed these The Little Mermaid cards one year 🙂
Downton Abbey valentine by Hurricane Vanessa
Sherlock valentines by robbicide
Firefly valentine via Hypable
I can’t find the original creator for this Firefly greeting – HELP!
Scott Pilgrim valentines via Uproxx
The end of 2012 is nigh! Or at least for folks on my side of the world. To those who are already celebrating the new year, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Tim and I are having a Star Wars marathon to welcome 2013. 🙂
Anyhow, while thinking of things to list in my annual ‘Year-in-Review’ post I thought that maybe I shouldn’t focus on the past, but look ahead and think of what I hope to accomplish during the upcoming year. As Albus Dumbledore once said to a young Harry Potter, “It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” Um… that’s pretty similar to not looking back on the past and living in the now and all that good stuff, right? No? Okay. I just really wanted to make a Harry Potter reference. 😛
Here’s a list of some of the things I hope to accomplish in 2013 (in no particular order):
- Get back into writing fiction and non-fiction.
- Read at least 12 books. That’s one book a month — I should be able to manage that!
- Find a legit job, preferably one that is not in Stockton.
- Move out of Stockton. This is a MUST!
- Experiment in new jewelry making mediums — I’m looking into paper clay and upcycling toys to be used as pendents 🙂
- Get more serious with my Etsy store and blog — more jewelry, more posts! And networking like cray-cray.
- Sell my jewelry at a nerdy convention or arts & crafts faire. I’m on the waiting list for a show in March, but I don’t want to give too many details about it because I’m afraid I might jinx it.
- Start vlogging.
- Get rid of things I don’t need in my room so I’ll actually have a place to vlog and have less anxiety over all my crap.
- Go on holiday outside of California. Portland, I’ve got my eye on you!
- Lose 30+ lbs. I lost a lot of weight early last year and gained it all back (and thensome) at the end. AH! I’d be lying if I said this isn’t for vanity reasons, but I want to be healthy too! And it’d be nice to be able to run just in case the Doctor happens to pop by. Gotta do lots of running with that man! <– sorry I’m not sorry for talking about Doctor Who.
2012 was full of great things, but I’m ready to see what’s in store for 2013!
Happy New Year, y’all!!! 😀
Sweater: Skip ‘N Whistle // Glasses: Derek Cardigan // Rory’s Sweater: Martha Stewart for Petsmart
Sooo… a few days ago I had a post that said I was nominated for the Liebster Award, and there are certain things that nominees are supposed to do when… er, nominated. One thing is to state 11 random facts about yourself. I totally forgot to do that in my little Liebster Award post, so I’m gonna list them here!
But before I get into that, check out my unicorn holiday pullover! Isn’t it all kinds of adorbz?! My mom got herself, my dad, and my sister matching sweaters too from Fab.com (they’re by this company based in New Orleans called Skip N’ Whistle) so we could wear them on Christmas. My sister and I will be wearing unicorns while my parents will rock snowmen. Our Christmas pictures are gonna be HELLA EPIC.
Okay, back to bidness. Random facts about moi in 3…2…1…
- I don’t wear pink on my birthday. Nothing on me can be pink. NOTHING. Even the tags of my clothes or my chonies (TMI?) can be pink. It’s a superstitious thing that started when I was 17.
- I’m obsessed with Disney. ALL THINGS DISNEY!
- I was in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers official fan club when I was in 3rd grade. SABERTOOTH TIGER!
- Hanson stole my concert virginity at the tender age of 11.
- I don’t like odd numbers unless they’re divisible by 5. I only make exceptions for 1 and 21 because 21 is 12 the other way around (12 is my lucky number) and 1 equates to my birthday month.
- I’m not crazy about my last name, so I tend to use my middle name (Penalosa) in its place.
- I have an affinity for carousel horses. Or I guess I have an affinity for anything horse-related (thank you, My Little Pony!), but I love carousels. And the first piece of writing I ever had published was an essay in which I compared life to a carousel ride. In case you’re curious, it can be read here.
- If I don’t like the way a store display looks I will change it until I am satisfied. O.C.D. much?
- I originally wanted to study and major in graphic design because I wanted to start my own line of tees and accessories with characters I used to doodle — kind of like Paul Frank or Gama-Go.
- My parents thought I would become a dentist because I loved yanking my loose teeth out when I was little. I think I was just anxious to get my monies from
my mom the tooth fairy.
- I hate horror movies not just because I’m chicken poop, but when something scary happens my automatic reaction is to cover my face, but I do it so fast that I end up bitch slapping myself.
Oh, Rory. He was not having any of this picture taking bull sh!t.
And in case you’re wondering: yes, that is a Yoda tree topper. And yes, that is a Nagel print hanging in the back. SO 80s! Don’tcha just love how random our decor is?