2020… how can I even recap it? I almost don’t even want to make my annual Year in Review post, but I’m not one to break tradition.
To say it’s been a weird, sad, maddening hot dumpster fire of a year would be the ultimate understatement. I’ve found myself angrier and even more disheartened by the state of the world and many of the people in it — particularly in the United States in which I live. From those who choose to not understand the Black Lives Matter movement, racial injustices seen in BIPOC/POC communities, to COVID-19 non-believers, it’s hard to look at how other countries are taking better precautions in social distancing and taking care of small businesses and its citizens financially. Must be nice to live somewhere where everyone considers the community as a whole rather than themselves as individuals. Le sigh.
Sometimes I get upset with myself for not accomplishing a whole lot this year. I didn’t even reach my GoodReads goal despite changing it 3 times. Like… that’s something I thought I could accomplish, but alas! I’m trying not to get down on myself because as my friend Sara told me, we’re all dealing with a pandemic. We’re not required to do X, Y, and Z when we’re just trying to survive, so everyone should give themselves grace.
And I’m still alive and [somewhat] well, so that’s something! I feel like some friendships have grown stronger throughout this year, so I’m thankful for the Zoom calls, Google hangouts, and barrage of text messages. They definitely helped me cope and get through 2020.
BTS was an unexpected godsend, too. I started listening to them last November and my love for them has flourished since then. While I’m sad 2020 robbed me of seeing them live in April, a lot of stuff they came out with wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for the pandemic — and that includes some bonds growing stronger with friends who fell down the BTS rabbit hole after ‘Dynamite’ came out in August. And of course, I love how they brought my sister and I a lot closer 💜
A few cool things did happen this year such as…
- being invited to be a guest on The Star Wars Show Book Club to discuss Leia: Princess of Alderaan
- promoted to Content Editor of Sartorial Geek with some articles in 3 of their printed issues this year
- successfully co-hosted 4 Sartorial Geek Fashion Fix challenges
- successfully co-hosted 2 Animal Crossing events with Sartorial Geek
- did a couple collabs with friends for fun content such as EK Johnston’s Queen’s Peril contest (I won a bookplate!) and Julie and the Phantoms costumes for Halloween
- helped organize and execute a virtual Star Wars Celebration with a few of the girls from Galactic Coven in just 2 weeks, including panels, small business features, and a Galactic Gala
- asked by Loungefly’s Stitch Shoppe to model a few pieces from their collections
- learned how to trim my own bangs
- got to watch 3 BTS online concert events
- got to watch Riz Ahmed’s online performance (was also supposed to see him in April)
- started taking Korean, Spanish, and French lessons on Duolingo
Okay, so that last one isn’t that exciting but I’m like… HEY, I am learning something. Haha! And most of my accomplishments were via Sartorial Geek, which is pretty effing cool.
I’m not really sure what else to say. I’ve mainly been cooped up at home lying on the couch scrolling endlessly on Instagram or TikTok, immersing myself in BTS content, watching a k-drama or random show on a streaming platform… yup, that’s pretty much it. 😅
I don’t know if anyone reads my blog anymore, but if someone happens to be reading these words I hope you’re well and doing the best you can, and that you and yours are safe. And please wear a face mask and practice social distancing.
Here’s hoping 2021 will have a light at the end of this pandemic tunnel. On that note, I’ll leave you with ‘Life Goes On’ by BTS. It definitely gives me some hope in this strange and scary timeline we’re all living in. I wish it can do the same for you. 💜
2 thoughts on “2020: My Year in Review”
You managed to do so many cool things in 2020 despite what an awful year it was! I really enjoyed the Galactic Coven Celebration event and attending the Animal Crossing virtual events!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Kristin! I’m so glad you were enjoyed both events. I loved your contributions to the Galactic Coven’s online event and learning more about Thrawn from your video, and also getting to visit your super cool island on AC! 🙂