Happy 4th of July, my little ponies!
I’m currently in LA for Anime Expo, despite the fact that my knowledge on all things anime is extremely limited — like Studio Ghibli and Sailor Moon is the extent of my knowledge, and even the things I know about those aren’t vast at all! So what the hell am I doing here anyway? Well, my friend goes every year and I got to go for a wee bit last year and I had fun, so why not this year too? Plus it isn’t strictly anime since other geekdoms are well represented too!
inspiration for the headband
Since I’m way too lazy to cosplay, I decided to wear my Totoro dress from Her Universe and make a headband to go with it. It was super simple to make, so here’s a little tutorial on how you can make your very own headband with little soot sprites from My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. >^__^<
– A plain black headband.
– A pack of medium sized googly eyes
– Medium sized black puff balls
– Star shaped beads (glittery ones are optional)
– A small tube of E6000 or any sort of strong craft glue
– Pliers (optional)
– First, figure out where you’d like your first puff ball to sit on the headband. I didn’t want it to go all the way around, so I just eyeballed where I wanted it to start, and ended up using 11 of them. Once you’ve figured out where you’d like them to be, start glueing them in a zig-zag position.
– Next, use the pliers to pick up the googly eyes to glue and place the eyes onto the sprite. Place them on every other one so your headband won’t be overwhelmed with eyeballs!
This is what your headband should look like after the first 2 steps
– Once all the sprites are in place, start positioning where you’d like the stars to be. I did mine in a zig-zag position and tried not to place the same colored stars so close to each other.
And voila! There you have it — your very soot sprites headband! See? It’s super simple! If you happen to make your own soot sprites headband, I’d love to see it. 😀